Run macro to find names on seperate workbook, then add info from t

  1. #1
    Tim
    Guest

    Run macro to find names on seperate workbook, then add info from t

    I have a report that needs data from another workbook to be put against the
    names of people.

    The names on my report are always the same and in the same order, but the
    other workbook is updated each month, and the names will be in a different
    order. From the second file i need three of the cells copying over to my
    workbook, and i would like this to be done automatrically as there are about
    150 names.

    If i run a macroo to find the names, and then select he cells on that line,
    it just selects the cell location, and when i do the next months it picks up
    someone elses info as the cell location for that name had no changed.

    Please help.

  2. #2
    Rebecca
    Guest

    RE: Run macro to find names on seperate workbook, then add info from t

    Use the function VLookup to do this. In the first of the 4 fields in the
    VLookup box, highlight the cell from the first worksheet that you want to
    update (the name). In the second box, choose the range from the other
    worksheet (make sure that the name that you want to look up is the first
    column in that range). In the third box of VLookup, put the number of the
    column after the name that you want to be in the other cell on the first
    spreadsheet. In other words, if you have the name and then the address and
    then the phone number and then the customer number and you want the address
    in the cell which you are doing, then the number would be 2. The last box of
    the VLookup is always FALSE.