Property Management

  1. #1

    Property Management

    I'm sure this question has been asked/answered, but I could not find an clear answer. Hopefully someone has a magic formula for me! Here is my situation:

    I have 3 properties that have 4-7 tenants. I've created workbooks for each property and each tenant has a separate sheet within the workbook. On the sheet, I have general lease info and a rent payment schedule. I also have to keep track of deposits made for the bookkeeper and 99% of the deposits are rent checks and have made a separate sheet within the workbook for that. Is there a way to link the sheets so that when I put in a rent payment, it automatically populates in the bank deposit sheet? And is there a way to run a report to show which tenants have paid rent for the month?

    I'm trying to set up a system that will keep duplicate entry to a minimum and at the end of the year, I can just print up sheets and hand them to the bookkeeper to prepare the taxes. Any help is much appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Nadia

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Property Management

    You make things much harder by having separate workbooks for properties &
    worksheets for tenants, at least so far as rent payments are concerned.
    Better to use a single sheet for all props/tenants.

    On this main sheet have columns for (at least):
    1) Property
    2) Unit
    3) Rental month
    4) Payment date
    5) Payment amount
    6) Maybe a payment type (cash, check, ??)
    7) Maybe a payment # (in case a tenant has to make 2 or 3 installments)
    8) maybe a comments column (to note bounced checks or other matters)

    With this layout you can take advantage of Excel's data filtering and
    sorting features, and create pivot tables to analyze & report on your data.