Assigning values to a symbol

  1. #1
    Stephen Doyle
    Guest

    Assigning values to a symbol

    Hi there,
    Is it possible to assign a symbol (in this case a ? ) to a value i.e. 1 and
    then have them added at the end of the row?
    And if so how?

    TIA

    -- Cheers

    Stephen
    [email protected]

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Assigning values to a symbol

    Any symbol with a 1 assigned to it can be "counted", and then used in
    calculations.

    =COUNTIF(A1:Z1,"^")
    OR
    =SUM(B1,COUNTIF(A1:Z1,"^"))

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:C04859CE.95C%[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Assigning values to a symbol

    to get the ^ symbol use:

    =char(94)

    Are you trying to count all instances that have a ^? Does this
    describe what you are trying to accomplish?

    21^
    123
    4A^
    ^RT
    3EA

    Answer: 3

    If this is what you are trying to do then you would use the search
    function in an array formula (for some reason the find function does
    not recognize ^ if it the first character.) Here is the formula where
    B2:B6 is the range you would replace with your own range:

    =SUM(IF(ISERROR(SEARCH(CHAR(94),$B$2:$B$6,1)>0),0,IF(SEARCH(CHAR(94),$B$2:$B$6,1)>0,1,0)))

    This is an array formula, so you will need to use ctrl+shift+enter to
    make it work.

  4. #4

    Re: Assigning values to a symbol

    Just thought of something much simpler than my previous windy, pompous
    formula. Try this:

    =COUNTIF(J12:J19,"*^*")

    Should count ^ no matter where it is found in a cell.

  5. #5
    Stephen Doyle
    Guest

    Re: Assigning values to a symbol

    On 23/3/06 4:38 PM, in article
    [email protected], "[email protected]"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Just thought of something much simpler than my previous windy, pompous
    > formula. Try this:
    >
    > =COUNTIF(J12:J19,"*^*")
    >
    > Should count ^ no matter where it is found in a cell.

    Works brilliantly, many thanks.

    -- Cheers

    Stephen
    [email protected]