How do I combine and match data from 2 sheets

  1. #1
    CathyW
    Guest

    How do I combine and match data from 2 sheets

    I have data in two sheets that I need to combine and match using a unique ID
    number. For example, it is a list of employees and on one sheet I have birth
    date and on the other sheet I have addresses. The ID is on both sheets. How
    do I move the data from one sheet onto the other, making sure the data
    matches the ID?

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: How do I combine and match data from 2 sheets

    one option is VLOOKUP:

    =VLOOKUP(Sheet1!Emp_ID,Sheet2!A2:B100,2,FALSE)

    Assuming Column A in Sheets 1 & 2 contain the ID, then the above will match
    the IDs and place the contents of Column B (from Sheet2) into the cell where
    the VLOOKUP formula is placed. The <2 > tells VLOOKUP to take the 2nd value
    in the table i.e defined as A2:B100

    =VLOOKUP(Sheet1!Emp_ID,Sheet2!A2:C100,3,FALSE) will select value from Column C

    Simply copy this formula down in columns as required.

    HTH

  3. #3
    CathyW
    Guest

    RE: How do I combine and match data from 2 sheets

    I inserted a column next to column A, the ID (label Emp_ID), and copied the
    formula into column B. I get the error message #NAME? I am not sure what I
    am doing wrong.

  4. #4
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: How do I combine and match data from 2 sheets

    Cathy,
    I should have been more explicit:

    EMP_ID should be the cell in column A so the formula should be something like:

    =VLOOKUP(Sheet1!A2,Sheet2!A2:B100,2,FALSE)

    assuming your data starts in row 2. This will look at the value in A2 of
    Sheet1 and try to find a corresponding value in columnA of sheet2. If it
    finds a match, then the value of column B in Sheet2 will be "copied" into the
    VLOOKUP cell.

    (I am UK-based so I'll be signing off now: if you still have problems e-mail
    me the workbook with instructions to [email protected])

    HTH