Group & Outline and Recalculation

  1. #1
    BrianH
    Guest

    Group & Outline and Recalculation

    I recently upgraded from Excel 2000 to 2003
    I use Group & Outline in large spreadsheets to facilitate navigation and
    reduce clutter on the screen.
    In 2000 this worked well, virtually instantaneously. In 2003 it seems to
    generate a recalculation each time an outline is expanded or contracted - the
    status bar shows "Calculating cells: 100%". The recalc time seems to be
    related to the number of rows / columns affected, and / or the complexity of
    the outline nesting, and by expansion more than contraction.
    The larger the workbook and the longer the model's recalc time, the more
    important the facility is to me, but the more tedious it becomes waiting for
    it to happen, to the point that it's becoming more trouble than it's worth.

    Does anybody know how to prevent the recalc? It doesn't respond to Escape
    or any other keybard input - you just have to wait for it to do whatever it
    is it's decided to do!

  2. #2
    Charles Williams
    Guest

    Re: Group & Outline and Recalculation

    Brian,

    I think its caused by Excel 2003 triggering a recalc whenever a row is
    hidden.

    You should be able to partially solve the problem by switching to Manual
    calculation mode.

    Charles
    ______________________
    Decision Models
    FastExcel 2.2 Beta now available
    www.DecisionModels.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    BrianH
    Guest

    Re: Group & Outline and Recalculation

    Thanks. That works, but it's a nuisance!

    Anyone know of anything else?

    (And don't you just love the way each new version manages to eliminate at
    least one useful feature from previouis versions and you have to find a new
    work-around? At least, that's been my experince over the last 10 years or
    so.)

    BrianH

  4. #4
    r.richie
    Guest

    Re: Group & Outline and Recalculation

    Indeed it's a nuisance. Anyone any solution yet on getting the 2000 "way" of
    recalculating back. (besides downgrading...)