Excell and Word Hang up when attempting use Save As command

  1. #1
    Scuta
    Guest

    Excell and Word Hang up when attempting use Save As command

    I have just installed latest updates for office 2003 and now find that when I
    attempt to use the save as command the application hangs up and prompts me to
    send a report to microsoft when I terminate a non-responding program. Any
    ideas as to what is wrong?

  2. #2

    Re: Excell and Word Hang up when attempting use Save As command

    Maybe...

    Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security
    update MS06-015

    Microsoft Patch Snafu Grows, Users Seek Workaround
    http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/185303742

  3. #3
    Scuta
    Guest

    Re: Excell and Word Hang up when attempting use Save As command

    I have uninstalled office and reinstalled. I find that new documents in
    Excel and Word now behave correctlly but that pre-existing spreadsheets and
    word documents still hang up when I use Save As. I do not use more than a
    fraction of a percent of the office facilities in these programs so I cannot
    say that there are other effects. If a solution exists that does not require
    me to copy all my old documents into new ones I would like to know.

    Scuta

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excell and Word Hang up when attempting use Save As command

    Did you visit the sites Dave provided?

    A re-install of Office does nothing to help you.

    It is Windows OS updates that did the deed.

    Read the how-tos on the MS site.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Jerry
    Guest

    Re: Excell and Word Hang up when attempting use Save As command

    I have two computers and both are having problems. I am not a techy, so not
    about to attempt to do the items listed on the two websites indicated. Is
    there no direct Microsoft Support? The same thing happened with my pc at
    work this week and the technician there was able to fix it. Can't type in
    addresses on IE. Can't use save as in Excel or Word. HP Printer will not
    work.

  6. #6
    Scuta
    Guest

    Re: Excell and Word Hang up when attempting use Save As command

    I do not have the confidence to attempt the solutions suggested in the
    references provided. I have a ghost image of my operating hard drive on a
    separate drive. from February. If I go back and then do not install the
    update MS06-015 will this solve my problems? Are Microsoft likely to correct
    the problems they have caused?

    Scuta

  7. #7

    Re: Excell and Word Hang up when attempting use Save As command

    There's a link to Kelly's Korner in that article:

    Scroll down to near the bottom of the list--find #383.

    On the righthand side is:
    HP's Share-to-Web Software - Fix More info: (MS06-015)

    It's a link to a .vbs (scripting file) that updates the registry to fix the
    problem if it was caused by the HP software.

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excell and Word Hang up when attempting use Save As command

    Jerry

    These newsgroups are manned by your peers. Microsoft support people are few and
    far between around here.

    We can do very little but try to assist with first-hand knowledge or by
    directing you to sites where the information is available to instruct you on how
    to fix the problem.

    Gord

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 13:05:01 -0700, Jerry <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have two computers and both are having problems. I am not a techy, so not
    >about to attempt to do the items listed on the two websites indicated. Is
    >there no direct Microsoft Support? The same thing happened with my pc at
    >work this week and the technician there was able to fix it. Can't type in
    >addresses on IE. Can't use save as in Excel or Word. HP Printer will not
    >work.
    >
    >"Gord Dibben" wrote:
    >
    >> Did you visit the sites Dave provided?
    >>
    >> A re-install of Office does nothing to help you.
    >>
    >> It is Windows OS updates that did the deed.
    >>
    >> Read the how-tos on the MS site.
    >>

    >> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
    >>
    >> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 07:09:01 -0700, Scuta <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have uninstalled office and reinstalled. I find that new documents in
    >> >Excel and Word now behave correctlly but that pre-existing spreadsheets and
    >> >word documents still hang up when I use Save As. I do not use more than a
    >> >fraction of a percent of the office facilities in these programs so I cannot
    >> >say that there are other effects. If a solution exists that does not require
    >> >me to copy all my old documents into new ones I would like to know.
    >> >
    >> >Scuta

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  9. #9
    Karl Drexel
    Guest

    Re: Excell and Word Hang up when attempting use Save As command

    DO NOT change registry or uninstall Office. As Dave Peterson wrote in "Excel
    and Word Hang Up..." a quick and simple fix can be found at
    http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/185303742.Don't know how it works but it
    does. Page two of the article gives a link to "Kellys Korner" for the fix. It
    worked perfectly.

  10. #10
    Scuta
    Guest

    Re: Excell and Word Hang up when attempting use Save As command

    Many thanks to you and Dave Petersen and all involved in providing the
    answers - Techeb fix worked without any fuss after I scewed up courage to use
    it.

    Regards
    Scuta