Sum by date rage using multiple sheets

  1. #1
    Michael
    Guest

    Sum by date rage using multiple sheets

    There is a worksheet for each month of the year and I am trying to sum on the
    13th sheet based on a random "from date" and "to date". I am having trouble
    creating ranges in the formula that span the 12 monthly worksheets. I
    couldn't get named ranges to work.

    what I have so far:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(?range?$E$1:$AI$1>=DATE(2006,3,3)),--(?range?$E$1:$AI$1<=DATE(2006,3,20)),--(?range?))

    where "?range?" is what I am tying to figure out...
    Ultimately I will change the dates to reference cells on sheet 13 for the
    "from date" and "to date" values.

    In sheets 1-12 columns represent days of the month (E2 is day 1, F2 is day
    2, etc), rows represent dollar amounts (E3 is $ amt for day one, F3 is $ amt
    fo day 2, etc.) and are consistant in each sheet (besides the total days in
    the month)

    There are around 100 rows on each sheet

    Example: Begin date is Feb 25, end date is March 5, I need all rows summed
    for the range of columns that are within the from and to date range for
    sheet 2 and sheet 3, an example of a sheet for 3 is below:

    3/1 3/2 3/3 3/4 etc.
    category 1 50.00 5.00 2.00 3.50
    category 2 1.00 10.00 .75 .25
    around a 100 more categories ongoing below

    I need the formula result to show on sheet 13.

    category 1 total here
    Category 2 total here
    etc. etc.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Sum by date rage using multiple sheets

    The current layout of you sheets makes this a real mess. You really need to
    put all your data in a single sheet with 3 columns: Category, Date,Value.
    With that layout you can EASILY do all sorts of calculations, summaries,
    reports, Pivot Tables, etc.

    Spending an hour reworking your layout will save you dozens of hours of pain
    and effort required by what you now have.

  3. #3
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: Sum by date rage using multiple sheets

    I am stuck in that a client of mine has been accumulating data this way for
    remote locations, summing manually, and entering as a journal entry. I had
    hoped to pull it into another sheet to summarize and import the entry into
    the accounting software.

    Based on your reply and my restraint to keep the format, I suppose I can
    pull the data to a single sheet from the 1st 12 sheets and summarize from
    that.

    Thank you for your input.

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Another option may be to use a UNION statement in Access to create a view that consolidates the data from the multiple worksheets and allows the Pivot Table to connect as if it is looking at data in a single sheet.

    a post at
    http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...ighlight=union
    describes how to do this for convering data in multiple columns in a spreadsheet into a single column but I see no reason why it would not work connecting multiple worksheets. I have not tested it... but it can't be worse than trying to use 'multiple consolidation ranges'

    The process would be to create an Access DB, then create a linked table for each page with data in your source spreadsheet, then write the query that does the union of all the linked tables. In another spreadsheet you can then create a pivot table using 'external data' and attach to the query. You will then see all data as if it is in one table and can do whatever you need to do in the pivot table.

    If you are going to have to do this more than once I expect it will be worth the effort.

    regards...