Thousands of possibilities

  1. #1

    Thousands of possibilities

    What is the best way to do this? I have 6 cells that need to be populated based on the results of 4 different cells.

    C8 is the beacon score
    C9 is the year model (could be one of 25 possibilities)
    C10 is the model code (could be one of 115 possibilities)
    O5 is the lender (could be one of 9 possibilities)

    Based on the results of these 3 cells, the values of cells O6, O7, O8, O9, O10 and O11 will be determined. And all four of the 1st 4 cells I mentioned above will be required to determine each of the O6:O11 cells.

    For just one cell a simple IF formula would work but there are so many possible values that could result that I don't know how to approach this project. Macros? Formulas? I'm still a novice at excel so this is tough on me. Ideas?
    Last edited by sharkfoot; 03-26-2006 at 04:40 PM.

  2. #2
    Is anyone able to at least point me in the right direction. Perhaps a link to a resource that I could figure this out from? Thanks!

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Thousands of possibilities

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:35:38 -0600, sharkfoot
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What is the best way to do this? I have 6 cells that need to be
    >populated based on the results of 3 different cells.
    >
    >C8 is the beacon score
    >C9 is the year model (could be one of 25 possibilities)
    >C10 is the model code (could be one of 115 possibilities)
    >O5 is the lender (could be one of 9 possibilities)
    >
    >Based on the results of these 3 cells, the values of cells O6, O7, O8,
    >O9, O10 and O11 will be determined.
    >
    >For just one cell a simple IF formula would work but there are so many
    >possible values that could result that I don't know how to approach
    >this project. Macros? Formulas? I'm still a novice at excel so this is
    >tough on me. Ideas?

    What are the rules for populating these cells?

    You might be able to use one of the lookup functions.
    --ron

  4. #4
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Thousands of possibilities

    I for one don't understand exactly what you're trying to do.
    And seeing that you're not getting any replies, I'm not the only one that
    doesn't understand you.

    Re-phrase your question with examples of what you'd like to see happen.
    Am I supposed to know what a beacon score is?

    RD

    "sharkfoot" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Rosenfeld

    What are the rules for populating these cells?

    You might be able to use one of the lookup functions.
    --ron
    Let's see. If O5 is equal to any one of 9 possible options (text options), then O6:O11 would have to recognize that and know which sheet to pull the interest rate from.

    O4 will always be a number between 350 and 850 (user defined)
    C7 will always be a number between 1985 and 2007 (user defined)(drop down menu)
    C8 will be one of 129 different possibilities (user defined)(drop down menu)
    O5 will be one of 9 possible lending institutions (user defined)(drop down menu).

    So from what the user enters in O4 and then selects from the other 3 drop down menus, the interest rate and term will have to be recognized. So I need O6 to equal a certain interest rate based o which bank was chosen, which credit score was entered, the year and model of the vehicle they are buying. O7 will have to recognize the same thing and return the term based upon the vehicle they are buying. Then O8:O11 will also figure the rate and terms based upon those 4 cells and give the buyer multiple payment options. So there will be many many possibilities based upon those 4 user defined cells.

    I just need to know how to make O6, O7, O9, O10, O12 and O13 smart enough to filter all 4 of the user defined cells and return the appropriate values. Each of the possible lenders has their own sheet, each sheet has entries for interest rates and terms based upon credit scores and they are all compiled in a table format of sorts, although no two lender sheets are identical.

    So I guess I need O6 to look at O5, see what bank it is and then goto that bank's sheet, then look at C8 and detrmine the vehicle so it knows which row to look on for the interest rate, of which it detrmines by the credit score entered into O4. Then whatever column it is in, it would know to grab the term from there and the payment would be figured.

    Now I wonder if I made sense at all.

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Thousands of possibilities

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 19:39:04 -0600, sharkfoot
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ron Rosenfeld Wrote:
    >>

    >> What are the rules for populating these cells?
    >>
    >> You might be able to use one of the lookup functions.
    >> --ron

    >Let's see. If O5 is equal to any one of 9 possible options (text
    >options), then O6:O11 would have to recognize that and know which sheet
    >to pull the interest rate from.
    >
    >O4 will always be a number between 350 and 850 (user defined)
    >C7 will always be a number between 1985 and 2007 (user defined)(drop
    >down menu)
    >C8 will be one of 129 different possibilities (user defined)(drop down
    >menu)
    >O5 will be one of 9 possible lending institutions (user defined)(drop
    >down menu).
    >
    >So from what the user enters in O4 and then selects from the other 3
    >drop down menus, the interest rate and term will have to be recognized.
    >So I need O6 to equal a certain interest rate based o which bank was
    >chosen, which credit score was entered, the year and model of the
    >vehicle they are buying. O7 will have to recognize the same thing and
    >return the term based upon the vehicle they are buying. Then O8:O11
    >will also figure the rate and terms based upon those 4 cells and give
    >the buyer multiple payment options. So there will be many many
    >possibilities based upon those 4 user defined cells.
    >
    >I just need to know how to make O6, O7, O9, O10, O12 and O13 smart
    >enough to filter all 4 of the user defined cells and return the
    >appropriate values. Each of the possible lenders has their own sheet,
    >each sheet has entries for interest rates and terms based upon credit
    >scores and they are all compiled in a table format of sorts, although
    >no two lender sheets are identical.
    >
    >So I guess I need O6 to look at O5, see what bank it is and then goto
    >that bank's sheet, then look at C8 and detrmine the vehicle so it knows
    >which row to look on for the interest rate, of which it detrmines by the
    >credit score entered into O4. Then whatever column it is in, it would
    >know to grab the term from there and the payment would be figured.
    >
    >Now I wonder if I made sense at all.

    It's not clear enough to come up with a solution, but it sounds like my
    original suggestion of using lookup tables is what you need to do. Obviously
    you will need multiple tables to handle your problem.

    --ron