Can I have automatic cell population while using combo list?

  1. #1
    rick
    Guest

    Can I have automatic cell population while using combo list?

    How do I get my combo list to populate the cell without scrolling up and
    down? I am planning to have many items and I was hoping that in addition to
    using the list I would also be able populate the cell with partial input.

  2. #2
    BigPig
    Guest

    RE: Can I have automatic cell population while using combo list?

    Hi rick,

    If your 'combo list' is a drop down, you could use index and match to pull
    up data to populate your other cells. That is, assuming that you are pulling
    from a database of sorts that is sorted.

  3. #3
    rick
    Guest

    RE: Can I have automatic cell population while using combo list?

    Big Pig
    Thank you for your response. I want to either scroll up and down or enter
    the information in the cell in the event the item I want is way down the
    list. Can I do this?

  4. #4
    BigPig
    Guest

    RE: Can I have automatic cell population while using combo list?

    Hi rick,

    Is your 'list' a 'static ' list? Meaning does it change much? And, when you
    say, "I want to scroll up and down..." do you mean that you want to edit that
    list, or something else in another column? Could you explain a little more?

  5. #5
    BigPig
    Guest

    RE: Can I have automatic cell population while using combo list?

    Hi rick,

    Sorry, I reread what you wrote, and I think I understand.

    You could just start typing in the 'combo list', and it should auto fill.

  6. #6
    rick
    Guest

    RE: Can I have automatic cell population while using combo list?

    Hi,

    I have a drop down button in the colum called Items that is linked to a list
    on another sheet. each row in that column has the ability to list all the
    items by selcting the drop down button. I have may items, I want to either
    press the button and selct from the list or, have the item populate the field
    as I type, similiar to what Acces does or any database will do. You know,
    that automatic fill.

    Example, I could select the item "apple" from my list or just type "ap" and
    have the blue indicator go to that item, hit enter. and the field is
    populated. Can this be done in Excel, or shuold I use Access for this
    project. I am better in Excel.

    Thanks for your help

  7. #7
    BigPig
    Guest

    RE: Can I have automatic cell population while using combo list?

    Hi rick,

    Now I understand. Auto fill for data validation is to my knowledge not
    possible, which is not to say that it isn't. You should post this again in
    this forum, as there are many others who may know how to do this.

    Otherwise if it's possible, you could via control toolbox, insert a
    combobox, which will autofill. However, you would need to link it to the
    source, and then modify your formulae.

  8. #8
    rick
    Guest

    RE: Can I have automatic cell population while using combo list?

    Hey "BigPig",
    you're right, and thanks ! the trick was to enter enough numbers the first
    six haracters are all the same alpha/numeric pattern when I entered the
    seventh number (one at the bottom of the list) it auto filled. Now I can use
    the scroll or let it auto fill.

    Thanks again