Opening downloaded IE files in Excel

  1. #1
    Steve H
    Guest

    Opening downloaded IE files in Excel

    Hi,

    I am trying to force a downloaded xls file from Internet Explorer to open in
    Excel 2003 directly, instead of in a browser window. This seemed to work in
    Excel 2000, but now does not.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2

    Re: Opening downloaded IE files in Excel

    maybe...

    How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office
    Documents in the Appropriate Office Program Instead of in Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=162059

  3. #3
    PK Trainer
    Guest

    Re: Opening downloaded IE files in Excel

    This works for my PC, but what if I want to put something out on our company
    Intranet. Is there any HTML coding that can force documents to open in the
    appropriate office program instead of in an Internet Explorer browser window?

  4. #4

    Re: Opening downloaded IE files in Excel

    Heck if I know.

    If you don't get an answer here, you can take your question down the hall to the
    internet.explorer newsgroups.

  5. #5
    foxcole
    Guest

    Re: Opening downloaded IE files in Excel

    The problem I see with that suggested article is that it applies up to Excel
    2002, but does not list 2003, so I'd be reluctant to try the registry edit...
    but I'm edgy about doing anything with registries. From what I've been able
    to find, Office 2003 handles linked files differently than all the past
    versions -- so I'm not convinced this article has our answer.

    I know the first method suggested in the article doesn't apply to IE 6.0, or
    if it does, needs to be more specific about where to find the option it says
    needs to be set (or what that option is). There is no such thing, that we can
    find.

    Has anyone actually tried either of the suggestions in the article, I
    wonder? Did it work?
    --
    FoxCole

    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing."

    Robert Benchley (about his response to someone who said at a dinner party,
    "Say something funny, Mr. Benchley.")

  6. #6

    Re: Opening downloaded IE files in Excel

    Did you try the first method?