CSV export from Excel always recognise null values in the last col

  1. #1
    RichardOKeefe
    Guest

    CSV export from Excel always recognise null values in the last col

    Hi ,

    I'm using Excel 2003 to read csv files that have been exported from an
    Oracle database. The data is modified in Excel, saved back to csv and then
    loaded back into Oracle. The first row of data is always a header that
    defines the columns of data. The last column of data is often null or empty
    when viewed in Excel. When saving data back to CSV and then viewing it in a
    text editor I would expect to see lines of data ending with a value where the
    last column is populated or ending with a comma when the last column is empty.

    Sometimes the row with an empty last column will end in a comma, sometimes
    not. It displays ok when read back into Excel but the program that
    manipulates data back into Oracle fails because of the missing trailing comma
    when the last column is empty. For example the text file might look like:

    head1, head2, head3
    a,b,c
    a,b,
    a,b

    The last row is the one that wouls casue a problem. I can change the data
    that I've missed that would fix the problem.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Wayne
    Guest

    RE: CSV export from Excel always recognise null values in the last col

    Richard, your gonna love this answer. I had the same issue, found this on MS KB

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...kb;en-us;77295

  3. #3
    RichardOKeefe
    Guest

    RE: CSV export from Excel always recognise null values in the last

    Thanks Wayne, I had a feeling it would be something stupid like that