Forgotten password to open .xls file

  1. #1
    JP Long
    Guest

    Forgotten password to open .xls file

    I created a file used yearly for inventory purposes and, despite my best
    efforts to document the password, I seem to be unable to open various files.
    I have encountered a few sites that propose they can crack sheet and workbook
    passwords and, even one that states it will crack the open password.
    However, none of these have worked.

    Any suggestions?
    --
    J. Paul Long
    Training Manager

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Forgotten password to open .xls file

    The sites I know are with regards to sheet and workbook protection where
    protection is a joke. For open file protection you probably need a
    commercial product to crack it

    Peo Sjoblom

    http://nwexcelsolutions.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Forgotten password to open .xls file

    See the link at

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords2.html

    You can get a real-time crack in 3 minutes or less, assuming that the
    file is intact. The site will display a small section of the workbook to
    verify that the crack worked.

    It's free to look, but there's a fee to download the cracked file.

    In article <[email protected]>,

  4. #4
    JP Long
    Guest

    Re: Forgotten password to open .xls file

    One of my IT guys found a similar site to the mcgimpsey.com...
    http://www.rixler.com/excel_password_recovery.htm

    From what I understand, though, these sites will crack the code but not tell
    you the password that was cracked. If this is my only option, I will go with
    simply getting the file open. However, each of the files I need to crack has
    multiple links to a shared workbook, as well as formulas generating data in
    the respective workbook and other files. Will I loose these links and
    forumla calculations with the new file?
    --
    J. Paul Long
    Training Manager

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Forgotten password to open .xls file

    Links are not affected, also once you have it open you can just do save as,
    click options in the save dialogue, clear out the asterisks in the password
    field and save it and the password is removed.
    Note this is just for password on open, workbook and worksheet passwords are
    much easier to crack and won't need any commercial products