How can I calculate commissions that are not percentage based?

  1. #1
    Sean
    Guest

    How can I calculate commissions that are not percentage based?

    I am trying to create a formula to calculate my commissions, but my
    commissions aren't percentage based. The difference between my bill rate and
    pay rate is the spread. If my spread is between $20 and $30, for example, I
    get $500. If the spread is between $30.01 and $40, I get $1000, etc. So, the
    higher the spread, the higher my commissions are. I have a spread sheet that
    calculates my spread, but I'd like to track commissions also. Any ideas out
    there?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Kansas, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    I'd create a commission table as a couple columns, Spread and Commission. Then next to your Spread calculation, you can place a Vlookup which references the spread number and the commission table. The table could be on a different worksheet if necessary.

    See VLOOKUP under help.

    ---GJC

  3. #3
    Sean
    Guest

    Re: How can I calculate commissions that are not percentage based?

    Thanks for the help. I've never created a commission table. Do you have a
    simple explanation on how to do this?

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Kansas, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    By commission table, I just meant a table of the spreads versus comissions, i.e., put the spreads in col A and the corresponding commissions in Col B.

    Example: ("Spread" is in A1)

    Spread Com
    0 100
    20 500
    30.01 1000
    50.1 2000
    100.1 5000

    If your spread is in cell D1, then in E1 put =VLOOKUP(D2,A2:B6,2,TRUE)

    Spread = 35 ==> 1000

    HTH

    ---GJC