Excel Backup Location

  1. #1
    Tony
    Guest

    Excel Backup Location

    Excel has a function, everytime when I save the file, it will create a
    backup. However, does anyone know how could I specify the location for my
    backup file? Thank you very much.

  2. #2

    Re: Excel Backup Location

    Excel uses the same folder as the workbook.

    You can't change this. But you could write your own macro that would save the
    file in multiple locations.

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Excel Backup Location

    Dave, just for my curiosity.......could you take this one step further?

    > you could write your own macro that would save the
    > file in multiple locations.

    All I need is a Yes or No answer (no code necessary!), could this be done
    with VBA:

    Do an on save event procedure that verifies the active file was saved as a
    backup, copies it to a new location then deletes the backup in the default
    directory?

    I need to learn me some VBA!

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Kansas, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    You can also specify the autorecover file location under Tools/Options/Save

    ---GJC

  5. #5

    Re: Excel Backup Location

    Yes.

    You could use an application event that looks for any workbook being saved (not
    relying on autosave or autorecovery) and saves a copy of the file anywhere you
    want.

    You could also use an individual workbook's _beforesave event that does the same
    thing.

    Or you could just create macro that saves the file and also creates a backup
    copy.

    Then assign that macro to a shortcut key and use that whenever you wanted a
    backup.

    (I like the last technique best.)

  6. #6

    Re: Excel Backup Location

    ps.

    Jan Karel Pieterse wrote an addin (works in any version) called AutoSafe (note
    spelling).

    It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
    selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or puts
    them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups from the
    recycle bin.

    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
    (look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.)

    Jan Karel's version will know if there was a crash and prompt you to open the
    last version it saved.

  7. #7

    Re: Excel Backup Location

    And one more hint.

    Take a look at .save and .savecopyas in VBA's help.

  8. #8
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Excel Backup Location

    Thanks Dave. You da man!

  9. #9
    Spammer
    FL, US
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Thumbs up Re: Excel Backup Location

    You can use this excel backup file macro. This worked perfectly for me.

    You can set auto backup in Excel option also but I have seen that not working sometime in fact that slow down your pc speed by auto backing up the data.