HOw do I use enter to return to the first cell in the next row?

  1. #1
    lksmith
    Guest

    HOw do I use enter to return to the first cell in the next row?

    I'm entering data into columns, left to right. When finished with the cell in
    the last column(H), how do I get to the first cell in the first column(A),
    next row down? Just like entering text in Word and using the Enter key as a
    carriage return to start the next line.
    The only way it works now is to use the left arrow key. If I hit return I
    simply drop down to the next lower cell in same columm.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: HOw do I use enter to return to the first cell in the next row?

    Use the tab key to move to the right instead of the arrow key

    Peo Sjoblom

    http://nwexcelsolutions.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: HOw do I use enter to return to the first cell in the next row?

    When you have moved down to the blank row below where you have just
    entered data, press the <Home> key - this will take you to column A.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  4. #4
    Bryan Hessey
    Guest

    RE: HOw do I use enter to return to the first cell in the next row?

    In Tools, Options, Edit is 'Move selection after Enter', direction can be
    left, right, up or down, but this moves only to the adjacent cell.
    To return to column A use CTRL and left arrow.

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    If you have unlocked only your target cells and protect the worksheet (with "select unlocked cells" only), then the cursors moves the way you want it to.

    There is also a way of achieving a similar result through setting up a particular type of range name which selects cells in a user-specified order, but this is more fiddly and less robust.

  6. #6
    lksmith