Comparing displayed values

  1. #1

    Comparing displayed values

    Hi,

    I have to compare a very large worksheet, some of the numbers are only acurate to 3 decimal places, some of the others are accurate to about 10 d.p.

    I need to somehow shorten the numbers that are 10 dp down to 3 dp so they will compare properly. If I go into format cells and adjust the settings there all this does is shorten the amount of numbers shown on the worksheet, the full number is still in the background and as such the MATCH formula returns a false.

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,
    Steve

  2. #2
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: Comparing displayed values

    Changing formats merely modifies how the number is displayed, you can use
    Round(Value,x...xx) to modify the actual value.

    The following might be a possible solution, but save a copy of your original
    file just in case:

    Insert a helper column to the right of the column containing value with 3 or
    more decimal positions

    Assuming that the data is in column B row 1, enter the formula =ROUND(B1,3)
    at the top of the new column and copy as far down as necessary

    Copy the entire column of formulas

    Select EDIT in the meny and select PASTE SPECIAL, and in the PASTE panel of
    the dialog box, click the VALUES option button and click OK

    Delete the column containing your formulas
    --
    Kevin Backmann

  3. #3
    Top man, thanks!