Best way to summarize results?

  1. #1
    neil40
    Guest

    Best way to summarize results?

    Hi everyone

    I have several worksheets that represent yearly results (labelled 1995,
    1996 etc...)

    I would like a summary sheet that can pick out common competitors from
    each sheet and add that years score to a 'rolling' total.

    I had thought a Pivot table would do the job, but can't seem to make it
    work.

    One point to note is that within each sheet, there are an inconsistent
    number of events - for example there might be 8 events in '95 and 9 in
    '96 etc. Is that a problem for the pivot table?

    Thanks for any suggestions
    Neil

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Best way to summarize results?

    It would be easier to summarize the data if it were all on the same
    sheet. Then you could create a pivot table, or use filters to show
    specific years' data.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures

  3. #3
    neil40
    Guest

    Re: Best way to summarize results?

    Debra

    Thanks. I'll give it a try.
    My workbook originally had all the years on one sheet, but that didn't
    seem to work either.
    Is it best to have the yearly data
    a) Layed out across the sheet so each year is side by side or
    b) Layed out down the sheet so they are one above the other

    Neil

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Neil

    Put like data in like columns e.g. competitors in a competitors column, years in a year column. i.e lay out the sheet so years are above one another. rather than in the same row.

    Can't see any problem with different numbers of events in different years. Assume there is a separate row for each event, for each year.

    When you get the data into the format suggested by Debra, you'll have plenty of extra tools for analysis, pivottable usually being the most useful.

    Cheers,