special character in Worksheet column after import

  1. #1
    Martin Glodde
    Guest

    special character in Worksheet column after import

    Hi,
    I imported some text files that have two columns of numeric values.
    Those seem to have a fixed width, but after the import, there appears to
    be a special character in the second column that is sometimes indicated
    by an open/white square i.e., it cannot be displayed.
    Surprisingly, this square is only displayed in my older XP 2002 (for
    students and teachers) at home, but not in the newer Office 2003 version
    on my work laptop. There, I was puzzling why Excel didn't want to plot a
    graph from my table. At home, I realized that the special character not
    shown at work was the reason.
    First of all: can I make it happen that this special character (or its
    replacement, the square) is also shown in newer Excel versions? How?
    Also, is there any trick at the stage of the text file import that
    allows me to see whether or not there is such a character, so that I can
    exclude it?

    Thanks,
    Martin

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: special character in Worksheet column after import

    Can you high light and copy just that character into another cell, then use
    this

    =CODE(B2)

    assuming you put it into cell B2

    it might be a good chance the result is 10

    do ctrl + H, click in find what and
    hold down alt while typing 010 on the numpad
    then release the alt key, in the replace with box put a space or leave empty
    then
    replace all

    if that doesn't work you can use a macro

    Sub Clean_Carriage_Return()
    Selection.Replace What:=Chr(10), _
    Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _
    SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
    End Sub

    select the range and run the macro, if you get 13 when you test it replace
    the Chr(10) with Chr(13)

    on how to install a macro

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/install.htm
    -

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Martin Glodde
    Guest

    Re: special character in Worksheet column after import

    Thanks, Peo.

    Peo Sjoblom wrote:
    > Can you high light and copy just that character into another cell, then
    > use this
    >
    > =CODE(B2)

    It's infact a tab chr(9), which leaves the question why this didn't show
    up when I imported the data.

    > Sub Clean_Carriage_Return()
    > Selection.Replace What:=Chr(10), _
    > Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _
    > SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
    > End Sub

    I installed the modified macro, using chr(9) instead of 10. However,
    when I run it on highlighted cells, I end up with ########## ; so sth.
    must have happened that makes this cell illegal. Any idea?
    The same happens if I use the replace option as suggested.

    Martin

  4. #4

    Re: special character in Worksheet column after import

    It could mean a few things.

    1. The columnwidth is too narrow to show the number.

    Widen the column or change the font size of that cell. Or change the
    numberformat to General.

    2. You have a date/time in that cell and it's negative

    Don't use negative dates. If excel was helping you, it may have
    changed the format to a date. Change it back to General (or some
    other number format).

    If you need to see negative date/times:
    Tools|options|Calculation Tab|and check 1904 date system
    (but this can cause trouble--watch what happens to your dates
    and watch what happens when you copy|paste dates to a different
    workbook that doesn't use this setting)

    3. You have a lot of text in the cell, the cell is formatted as Text.

    Format the cell as general.

    4. You really have ###'s in that cell.

    Clean up that cell.

    5. You have # in a cell, but it's format is set to Fill.

    Change the format
    (format|cells|alignment tab|horizontal box, change it to General.