formatting my cells

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    formatting my cells

    I'm trying to insert the following information into a spreadsheet

    MASTER BATH------:
    Tub--------------------:
    Tub faucet------------:
    Waste/Overflow-----:
    Shower Base--------:
    Shower faucet-------:
    Lav Bowl-------------:
    Lav Faucet-----------:
    Stop/Supplies--------:
    W/Closet--------------:
    W/Closet stop--------:
    T/Lever---------------:
    and I need to somehow format my cells in such a way that my text is left justified and my dashes are right justified but at the same time my dashes are near my text. The problem is that some of these don't line up for some reason I'll put a dash or remove a dash to line them up with each other but it seems like their off by half a dash at some points. Any ideas on how I can do this?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    If you use a Fixed Font instead of a Proportional Font your text should line up correctly. A Fixed Font uses the same amount of space for each character. A Proportional Font self adjusts spacing to account for the visual mass of characters relative to their neighbors.

    Examples:
    Courier New is a fixed font
    Arial is a proportional font

    Does that help?

    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Out of all of the fonts that I have, how do I know which is fixed and which isn't?

  4. #4
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: formatting my cells

    Use a fixed size font (eg: Courier New)

    AP

    message de news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    Without knowing what fonts you have....try this:

    Put the same text in each cell in a column.
    Example:
    A1: aaaAAAXXXXXX123
    A2: a-------------a

    Format A1 and A2 with the Courier New font (as a baseline)
    (Both cells should appear to be the same length since both contain 15 characters.)

    Copy those pairs down for several cells
    Format each other pair with a font you're interested in using.

    It should be come fairly apparent which are Fixed Font or not.

    Does that help?

    Regards,
    Ron

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    yes, that helps a lot. Thank You

  7. #7
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: formatting my cells

    How about trying a custom format that will *automatically* fill the
    remaining spaces of your cell (after entering text) with the character that
    follows the asterisk?

    This would be for your request of a dash:

    ;;;@*-

    OR, to fill with an asterisk:

    ;;;@**

    --