VLOOKUP Problem

  1. #1
    Ian
    Guest

    VLOOKUP Problem

    I have been using VLOOKUP functions extensively for a long time and recently
    encountered a problem that I haven't seen before.

    My VLOOKUP formula is: =VLOOKUP(B564,$B$1:$F$558,5,FALSE)

    When I insert a new blank column in the middle of the array, the VLOOKUP
    function continues to return the same value as it did before I inserted the
    column. After inserting the column, the old value is now in the 6th column,
    but the VLOOKUP output doesn't change.

    The calculation option in the Tools-Options menu is set to "Automatic" and
    pressing the F9 key doesn't change the output. The only way I am able to get
    the VLOOKUP to change is by going into the VLOOKUP function and then pressing
    enter.

    A person I know recently told me that he also has this problem with the
    VLOOKUP. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Any suggestions would
    be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Problem

    Hi!

    Are you always using the last column of the table as the
    column_index_number? If so:

    =VLOOKUP(B564,$B$1:$F$558,COLUMNS($B1:$F558),0)

    Do your columns have headers? Use a MATCH function to find the correct
    column_index_number:

    =VLOOKUP(B564,$B$1:$F$558,MATCH("column_header",$B$1:$F$1,0),0)

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Problem

    Hi Biff,

    Thanks for your reply. I have used the COLUMNS function in the past and you
    are correct that it does indeed work in this situation. I had not used the
    MATCH in this situation before and it is a good idea.

    I guess my main concern is to understand why the initial formula I wrote
    below doesn't work when I add a new column. Do you think that it's a glitch
    of some sort with Excel? When I add a new column, I would expect the VLOOKUP
    to change because after I add the column, the 5th column in my array has
    become the 6th column, but as I descibed, the VLOOKUP continues to show the
    same result as it had previously until you go into the formula and then hit
    Enter.

    Thanks again,

    Ian

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Problem

    >Do you think that it's a glitch of some sort with Excel?

    Not really a glitch, but probably not a "feature" that MS thought about.

    You'll notice that a range or cell reference does change automatically as
    you move things around. The column_index argument is a constant and MS
    apparently didn't think about having that change with respect to the range