Count and Rank problem

  1. #1
    Tennessee

    Count and Rank problem

    Here is the run down:

    Col A = Date - Self explanatory
    Col B = Office - This column will list the same 10 offices multiple times as
    reports indicate.
    Col C = Report - This column will show the details reported on an specific
    office.

    In Col D I am using =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$500,"Sales") in order to count the number of instances that SALES is entered into Col B.

    Problem

    I want to use the RANK function to look at the cell Counting the number of instances of "SALES" and RANK it in comparison to the number of times the other offices have been listed.

    ** I wanted to add that I have in COL E the function =RANK(D2,$D$2:$D$1000,1) in an attempt to get the RANK part correct. The problem is that it lists the office least mentioned as #1 and the office with the most reports as being in last place. This isn't necessarily a major problem, however it would be nice to see the office with the most reporting showing up as the #1 problem area.

    If its possible to combine these two functions into one cell that would be even better.

    --------------------

    Thanks before hand for anyone interested in helping me with this problem.

    Tony
    Last edited by tonystowe; 04-05-2006 at 03:21 PM.

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Count and Rank problem

    Assuming D2 to D11 contains the counts (COUNTIF($B$2:$B$500,"<office>"), then
    you could use:

    =RANK(COUNTIF($B$2:$B$500,"sales"),D2:D11)

    Or if D2 contains Sales count

    =RANK(COUNTIF(D2,D2:D11)

    HTH

  3. #3
    Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppers
    Assuming D2 to D11 contains the counts (COUNTIF($B$2:$B$500,"<office>"), then
    you could use:

    =RANK(COUNTIF($B$2:$B$500,"sales"),D2:D11)

    Or if D2 contains Sales count

    =RANK(COUNTIF(D2,D2:D11)

    HTH

    >[/color]
    Thanks for your reply. I could not get the =Rank(countif(d2,d2:d11) to work as an error message indicating too few arguments pops up.

    While =RANK(COUNTIF($B$2:$B$500,"sales"),D2:D11) did work with only "SALES" as its que, how do I make it rank all offices against one another? How do I account for ALL offices added and for the formula to rank each as the reports are added?

    Thanks

    Also, how do I make the RANK function rank the highest number FIRST and the lowest number LAST??
    Last edited by tonystowe; 04-05-2006 at 04:20 PM.

  4. #4
    Toppers
    Guest

    Re: Count and Rank problem

    Sorry ... complete aberation ..
    should be

    =rank(d2,d2:d11)

    d2 will contain =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$500,"sales")
    d3 will contain =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$500,"finance")

    etc

    Again, my apologies.

  5. #5
    Tennessee
    Thanks while I couldn't figure that out on my own it is beginning to make sense. Again, Thanks

    Tony