Matching List Entries

  1. #1

    Matching List Entries

    Hi,

    How / Is it possible to match entries in lists that are in a random order and are different lengths

    i.e.

    col1 col2
    1 1
    2 2
    5 7
    6 6
    8 9
    3 3
    4 4

    To get
    col 1 col 2
    1 1
    2 2
    3 3
    4 4
    5
    6 5
    7 6
    8
    9 9

    Being in order isnt particuarly important but matching up the values is.

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    Steve

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Matching List Entries

    Sort one of the lists (Data>Sort)
    In the column adjacent to the sorted list use a VLOOKUP() formula

    Let's say the sorted list is in A1:A100, and the other list you want to
    match is in D1:D100. In B1 put this formula and copy it down

    =if(isna(vlookup(a1,$d$1:$d$100,1,0)),"",vlookup(a1,$d$1:$d$100,1,0))

  3. #3

    Re: Matching List Entries

    You've got a reply at your later post.