change scientific notation (exponential) back to text

  1. #1
    GEORGIA
    Guest

    change scientific notation (exponential) back to text

    Hi.
    I have received a file and some of the customer # has been changed as
    scientific notation.

    8.50E+281
    like so. I went >format Cell>Text and it doesn't convert back to text.
    I have also tried Text column> text and it still remains the same. Is there
    a way to restore what it used to be? It's supposed to be 85E280.

    THANK YOU!

  2. #2
    Andrew Taylor
    Guest

    Re: change scientific notation (exponential) back to text

    Depending on the format of the original data you may or may not
    be able to recover the codes; for example 08E281 would give
    the same number as 80E280, so if both of these are possible
    you couldn't distinguish them.

    If the format is always abExyz
    where a,b,x,y,z are digits and a <> 0 then this formula should work:

    =SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(A1,"00E+000"),"+","")

    (assuming value to be converted in A1)

    Andrew