Struggling IF value

  1. #1
    Rebecca
    Guest

    Struggling IF value

    =IF('Natl Rank'!C1="Month of March 06",""=VALUE('1'!C9)) ???? Not right.....

    If Excel spreadsheet tab, Natl Rank, cell C1 = Month of March 06, I want to
    reveal the "value" of spreadsheet tab 1, cell C9, in spreadsheet Natl Info,
    cell B61.
    --
    Rebecca

  2. #2
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Struggling IF value

    "Rebecca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > =IF('Natl Rank'!C1="Month of March 06",""=VALUE('1'!C9)) ???? Not
    > right.....
    >
    > If Excel spreadsheet tab, Natl Rank, cell C1 = Month of March 06, I want
    > reveal the "value" of spreadsheet tab 1, cell C9, in spreadsheet Natl
    > Info,
    > cell B61.

    =IF('Natl Rank'!C1="Month of March 06",'1'!C9,"")
    should do.
    VALUE doesn't in general do anything for you (look at the help for the
    function).
    Your pair of double quotes & equals before the VALUE will probably have
    confused the formula.
    If you want the cell blank for anything other than "Month of March 06" in
    C1, you need the "" for the false condition.
    --
    David Biddulph

  3. #3
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    rebecca,

    In Natl Info B61

    =IF('Natl Rank'!C1="Month of March 06",'1'!C9,"")

    Assuming that your sheet tab 1 is named "1". This returns a blank if the condition is not true. It looks like you had the value if true and value if false reversed.

    Does that help?

    Steve

  4. #4
    Rebecca
    Guest

    Re: Struggling IF value

    David,

    I will be changing the "Month of March 06" cell to the following month each
    month. How can I get the value that had been pulled in by this formula to
    remain in the cell after this cell is changed. I have set up the same
    formulas for each month of the year in subsequent cells but I need the
    Any ideas?
    --
    Rebecca

  5. #5
    Rebecca
    Guest

    Re: Struggling IF value

    Steve.

  6. #6
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: Struggling IF value

    Rebecca,

    I'm not David but do you have a date anywhere in the sheet? If not place a
    date in an unused cell - say N1 - and if you don't want it to show either
    hide the Column or Row, or change the font colour to the background colour.

    Then use the formula:

    ="Month of "&text(N1,"mmmm yy")
    to return "Month of March 06"

    then:
    =IF(TODAY()>'Natl Rank'!N1,'1'!C9,"")
    to replace your formula and when the date passes March 1st 2006 C9 will be
    displayed and remain.

    Sandy

    [email protected]
    [email protected] with @tiscali.co.uk