CountIf Function Question

  1. #1
    Josh in Indy
    Guest

    CountIf Function Question

    I have a summary spreadsheet, "April Daily Revenue Impact.xls" that has a tab
    for each day of the month. Also, for each day of the month there is a
    seperate spreadsheet that contains the orders for each day. The tabs on the
    summary spreadsheet should look at the daily order log and summarize the
    quantity of orders and the revenue impact of the orders by region. The
    Sumproduct function works great for the revenues. However, the Countif
    function will only function if the corresponding Daily Order Log is open when
    the values are updated, otherwise it returns "#VALUE".

    The function is entered as: "=COUNTIF([04042006.xls]Master
    Worksheet'!$C$3:$C$83,A4)" where Row "C" is the Region on the 04042006.xls
    Spreadsheet and Row "A" is the same regions on the summary spreadsheet. When
    the corresponding Daily Order Log is open, the function returns the correct
    values.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    deflated
    Guest

    RE: CountIf Function Question

    try clicking on edit, then go to "links". then select the 04042006.xls
    spreasheet and click "update values"

  3. #3
    Josh in Indy
    Guest

    RE: CountIf Function Question

    That will update all of the values except the quantity of orders, which will
    return the "#VALUE" until I open the 04042006.xls spreadsheet. When that
    sheet is opened, the quantity of orders updates and shows the correct value.

  4. #4
    deflated
    Guest

    RE: CountIf Function Question

    i tried this on my spreadsheet and your right, it doesn't work. but it does
    work if you do a straight link to the other sheet. iow do the countif on the
    other sheet and then do =(cell #) on the sheet you have open.

  5. #5
    Josh in Indy
    Guest

    RE: CountIf Function Question

    That does work, thanks for the help.

    If anyone knows how to make this work without having to add this function to
    the 04042006.xls spreadsheet I would really rather not have that function on
    that sheet.

    Thanks