Formatting a Phone Number

  1. #1
    Formatting Phone Number
    Guest

    Formatting a Phone Number

    I need my phone numbers in excel to look as follows (###) ###-####, does
    anyone know how to make this happen? Thanks

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Formatting a Phone Number

    Right-click on the cell(s) you wish to format, then FormatCells > NumberTab >
    Special > PhoneNumber > OK..........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    deflated
    Guest

    RE: Formatting a Phone Number

    hi-lite the cells you want to format, then click on format, then "cells",
    then on the "number" tab, then select "special", then Phone number

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Formatting a Phone Number

    If they are already numbers then you can use
    format, cells, special, phone numbers
    which for English(US) would provide the equivalent
    of a format, cells, custom
    [<=9999999]###-####;(###) ###-####

    Personally I would only enter phone numbers as text,
    and because of where I live, I have to dial all digits
    anyway I would use the custom format of
    000-000-000

    But if you really want to things right, I'd use text
    entries then no matter what you type would be used and you
    could include foreign phone numbers and/or additional codes or
    extensions.

    to format a text string you would have to use a macro or a
    user defined function

    If they are 10 digits of text, you could force them to a number within your formula
    and format, the result would be a string.
    =TEXT(A28 + 0, "\(000\) 000\-0000")