The lastdigit of 16digit numberschanges to 0. How do I stop this?

  1. #1
    Trumpeter
    Guest

    The lastdigit of 16digit numberschanges to 0. How do I stop this?

    I'm using Excel 2000 and need to use 16 digit numbers. However I find that
    the last digit automatically changes to a zero. For instance typing
    5434603057707214 to a cell is changed to 5434603057707210 when I hit enter.
    Is there a way to stop this?

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: The lastdigit of 16digit numberschanges to 0. How do I stop this?

    On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 03:25:01 -0700, Trumpeter
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm using Excel 2000 and need to use 16 digit numbers. However I find that
    >the last digit automatically changes to a zero. For instance typing
    >5434603057707214 to a cell is changed to 5434603057707210 when I hit enter.
    >Is there a way to stop this?

    If you look in HELP under specifications, you will see that Excel's precision
    is fifteen digits.

    If these 16 digit numbers are account numbers, or some kind of value upon which
    you do not need to do calculations, then you can enter them as text. Either
    pre-format the column as text, or precede your entry with a single quote
    '1234567890123456

    --ron

  3. #3
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: The lastdigit of 16digit numberschanges to 0. How do I stop this?

    "Trumpeter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm using Excel 2000 and need to use 16 digit numbers. However I find that
    > the last digit automatically changes to a zero. For instance typing
    > 5434603057707214 to a cell is changed to 5434603057707210 when I hit
    > enter.
    > Is there a way to stop this?

    Yes. Format the cell as text before you enter the number.
    --
    David Biddulph

  4. #4
    Trumpeter
    Guest

    Re: The lastdigit of 16digit numberschanges to 0. How do I stop th

    Many thanks, I'll just have to split the number into two columns and do the
    maths that way. I did look in help but it seems I chose to aske the wrong
    question!

    Ian