Obtain data from various sheets?

  1. #1
    angelila
    Guest

    Obtain data from various sheets?

    I would like to be able to call out data from various sheets with out naming
    the sheet in the formula. I would like to be able to input the name of the
    sheet into a cell and then the formula would use the name of the sheet from
    that cell to lookup the data. I think it should be some type of "lookup"
    formula but I can't figure it out.

  2. #2
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Obtain data from various sheets?

    You can use the INDIRECT funcion. Lets say your sheet name is stored in cell
    A1, and you want to retrieve the value in cell B2 of the sheet named in A1.
    Use this formula:

    =INDIRECT(A1&"!B2")

    HTH,
    Elkar

  3. #3
    angelila
    Guest

    RE: Obtain data from various sheets?

    I don't think I was very clear in my previous post. I would like to for the
    sum of a column from a different sheet to show up in one cell when I input
    the name of the sheet in a different cell.

    Ex. on sheet1

    A B
    1 3-27-06 ###

    3-27-06 is the name of the sheet and ### is the sum of a column on sheet
    3-27-06.

  4. #4
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Obtain data from various sheets?

    You can still use the INDIRECT funciton. Try this:

    =SUM(INDIRECT("'"&A1&"'!"&"D:D"))

    This returns the sum of column D of the sheet named in cell A1.