hard excel question

  1. #1
    bp
    Guest

    hard excel question

    Hello,
    I am trying to do something kinda complicated. I have 2 columns. the first
    I would like to do a numbering. like F1.1,F1.2,F1.3, etc....
    But I would only like a number if the second column has the word
    "Automated". The column can also have the word "Manual" which I want the
    first column to have nothing in it.

    It would be pretty easy to insert a value in the first column, if there is a
    specific value in the second. however I would like to do this numbering
    thing.

    can anyone help?
    thanks

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: hard excel question

    Maybe

    =IF(B2="Automated","F"&MAX(MID(A1:A1,2,99))+0.1,"")

    in A2 and copy down

    Bob Phillips

    news:e$KU%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bp
    Guest

    Re: hard excel question

    sweet,
    i will try it out

  4. #4
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: hard excel question

    Bob Phillips wrote...
    >Maybe
    >
    >=IF(B2="Automated","F"&MAX(MID(A1:A1,2,99))+0.1,"")
    >
    >in A2 and copy down

    First, I'd guess you meant the A1:A1 to be A$1:A1; otherwise, just use
    A1. Next, if B1 weren't "Automated" and A1 weren't "F1.1", your formula
    would return "F0.1" the first time "Automated" appears in col B.
    Further, MID returns strings, so MAX(MID(..)) will return zero. Yes,
    the MAX call in MAX(MID(SingleCellRef,2,99)) treats the return value
    from MID as numeric, but change SingleCellRef to a multile cell
    reference, and MAX no longer converts text to numbers.

    I believe you have to use something like

    A2 [array formula]:
    =IF(B2="Automated","F"&MAX(("0"&MID(A$1:A1,2,8))+0.1,1.1),"")