How to save text as CSV which also contains commas?

  1. #1
    V.R.
    Guest

    How to save text as CSV which also contains commas?

    How can I save a data file in CSV format when one of the fields contains
    commas?

  2. #2
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: How to save text as CSV which also contains commas?

    "V.R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How can I save a data file in CSV format when one of the fields contains
    > commas?

    By default, Excel will include double quotes round the contents of such
    field, and when importing the csv file it will treat the double quotes as
    text delimiters. Save it as CSV, then look at the CSV file with something
    like Notepad.
    --
    David Biddulph

  3. #3
    V.R.
    Guest

    Re: How to save text as CSV which also contains commas?

    Thanks David.
    Opening the file in notepad looks fine.
    But, what about if I want to see the data as an excel sheet. Extra commas in
    a field shows me extra column. Isn't there a way to avoid this?

  4. #4
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: How to save text as CSV which also contains commas?

    "V.R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "David Biddulph" wrote:
    >
    >> "V.R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > How can I save a data file in CSV format when one of the fields
    >> > contains
    >> > commas?

    >> By default, Excel will include double quotes round the contents of such
    >> field, and when importing the csv file it will treat the double quotes as
    >> text delimiters. Save it as CSV, then look at the CSV file with
    >> something
    >> like Notepad.

    > Thanks David.
    > Opening the file in notepad looks fine.
    > But, what about if I want to see the data as an excel sheet. Extra commas
    > in
    > a field shows me extra column. Isn't there a way to avoid this?

    It shouldn't show you the extra column when it reimports. It doesn't for
    me.
    It might be worth trying renaming the file as a txt rather than csv, then if
    you open the file from within Excel you'll hopefully get the wizard & will
    be able to ensure that you've got the delimiter set as comma and the text
    qualifier as a double quote.

    In a recent thread, one contributor was having problems because the double
    quote wasn't immediately after the comma (so it was necessary to get rid of
    the extraneous spaces before reimporting), or if there were double quotes
    within the text field, but in general it should be OK.
    --
    David Biddulph