miscalucation

  1. #1
    spence
    Guest

    miscalucation

    I just spent several hours trying to reconcile an Exel spreadsheet against
    data from my accouting software only to discover that Excel is miscalculation
    a simple formula. I have a column of dollar figures in cells formatted as
    currency. If I use autosum, the formula reads:

    =SUM(A1:A39)

    and the total is $6447.60

    But if I create the following formula:

    =A1+A2+A3....etc to A39

    the total is $6684.73, which is correct. (The difference is $237.13)

    I have no hidden rows and have tried copying all the number into a new
    spreadsheet. Can someone tell me what's going on here? Thanks.

  2. #2

    Re: miscalucation

    Maybe some of those values in the cells aren't really numbers--they could be
    text values that look like numbers.

    If you put:
    =counta(a1:a39) - count(a1:a39)
    in a helper cell, do you get 0?

    =counta() counts any old entry. =Count() counts real numbers.

    You may be able to do this to correct the problem:
    select an empty cell
    Edit|copy
    select A1:A39
    edit|Paste special|check Add