using vlookup to find phone numbers online

  1. #1

    using vlookup to find phone numbers online

    How can I create a vlookup function to automatically retrieve phone numbers off switchboard.com using my current mailing list?

    I have a list of more than 4,000 of my customers. I want to ad in phone numbers automatically. I currently have the first and last name in one column. The address, city, state and zip are all each in their own column.

    I have never use vlookup before, nor have I ever used excel other than for data entry. What is the easiest and most efficient way to do this?

    I searched this site and seen vlookup mentioned for this type of automatic data entry. There may be another way or method I am not aware of. If so please advise.

    Thank you.

    I am using Microsfot Excel 2002 on Windows XP.

  2. #2

    Anyone?

    Someone must have an idea? Either that or this is something very simple. My apoligize if I am unaware of something. That is why I posted here. For help, assistance and guideance. Please let me know and thank you.

  3. #3
    Andrew Taylor
    Guest

    Re: using vlookup to find phone numbers online

    VLOOKUP() is used for looking up values with a table in a worksheet,
    so it's unlikely to help you here. There are two ways you might be
    able to get the data from the web site: (1) Web Query
    (Data/NewWebQuery)
    (2) a macro using the XMLHTTP object. Either of these may or may not
    work depending on exactly how the site works. (And some sites take
    meausres to prevent automatic querying, e.g. to prevent flooding, or
    to make you see their ads.)