Cell formatting

  1. #1
    KeMet
    Guest

    Cell formatting

    I have two colums of cells where I need the decimal point in the value
    eliminated. I am importing weekly hours worked and weekly overtime hours
    worked from a text file. They are imported in this fashion, 80.00 and 1.18
    for overtime. I have to use the custom function to format the data like this:
    0080.0000 and 0001.180. I do not need the decimal points (and I don't want to
    round the values), but I still need the data as 0080000 and 0001180.
    Any help on this is most appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Kyle

  2. #2
    Jim May
    Guest

    RE: Cell formatting

    create new helper column and enter:
    =TEXT(A1*1000,"0000000")
    You could also Copy and Paste-Special Value
    to rid yourself of the formula afterwards..
    Jim

  3. #3
    KeMet
    Guest

    RE: Cell formatting

    Thanks, but I can't create another column. I am using this with some payroll
    interface, so I need to save the .xls file as a .txt file. If I hide the
    columns in excel, they still appear in the text file.

    I'll keep trying, thanks.

    Kyle

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Cell formatting

    If you follow the second part of Jim's suggestion, you don't need to
    keep the additional column. Use the helper column to create the
    formatted text, copy the column, then select your original column and
    choose Edit/Paste Special, selecting the Values radio button. Delete the
    "helper" column, and you're good to go.

  5. #5
    KeMet
    Guest

    Re: Cell formatting

    That did it. Thank you so much to the both of you.

    Kyle