File Extension (.xls) In Header

  1. #1
    uncreative
    Guest

    File Extension (.xls) In Header

    Hello,

    I have a colleague who has created a document with the file name in the
    header. When she prints it, it shows up as the file name & extension, but if
    I open the same document on my computer, the extension disappears. (i.e.
    DailyDep.xls versus only DailyDep). Since we have the same version of
    Excel, I assume this is an option somewhere, but I can't find it. Does
    anyone know how to change this?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: File Extension (.xls) In Header

    It's a windows setting, not excel. Open windows explorer, then click on
    tools>folder options, then click view, uncheck hide extensions for known
    file types or have her check it depending on what you want to do

    Peo Sjoblom

    http://nwexcelsolutions.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Camilo
    Guest

    RE: File Extension (.xls) In Header

    Whether the file extension is included in the filename is controlled by a
    setting in Windows Explorer: Tools>FolderOptions>View: "Hide extensions of
    known file types". If unchecked, you'll see the .xls extension in both
    WindowsExplorer and Excel headers.

    !!!Keep in mind that lots of viruses & other malicious files can masquerade
    as text or picture files if you hide the real extension.

    --
    Hope this Helps!
    Camilo

    Objective: To help one person each day!

    Feedback is greatly appreciated! Please let me know if I've answered your
    question or if my post was helpful to you?

  4. #4
    uncreative
    Guest

    RE: File Extension (.xls) In Header

    Thanks, Guys; I knew about the Explorer/folder options thing and yet I didn't
    make the connection!