VLOOKUP being messed up by formating? Help..

  1. #1

    Exclamation VLOOKUP being messed up by formating? Help..

    I added the example2.xls
    Here: http://www.geocities.com/saftneger2/Example.zip

    I'm trying to lookup Values of Column A in Query1 (SN's) and match them with Values in Column A of Build list and return Column B of Build list. (The build date)

    However Excel 2000 seems to be unable to identify Query1!A4:A26
    When I used the formular editor for vlookup on those values,result:
    lookup_values = 42445

    It should be:
    lookup_values = "42445"
    in order to work.

    I copied some SNs from Build list to Query (displayed in Query!A2:A3) and in this case lookup_value = "..." and it works.

    Why is Excel not able to identify Query1!A4:A26?

  2. #2
    Gazeta
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP being messed up by formating? Help..

    Użytkownik "Dark_Templar"
    <[email protected]> napisał w
    wiadomości news:[email protected]...

    > I added the example2.xls
    > Here: http://www.geocities.com/saftneger2/Example.zip
    >
    > I'm trying to lookup Values of Column A in Query1 (SN's) and match them
    > with Values in Column A of Build list and return Column B of Build list.
    > (The build date)
    >
    > However Excel 2000 seems to be unable to identify Query1!A4:A26
    > When I used the formular editor for vlookup on those values,result:
    > lookup_values = 42445
    >
    > It should be:
    > lookup_values = "42445"
    > in order to work.
    >
    > I copied some SNs from Build list to Query (displayed in Query!A2:A3)
    > and in this case lookup_value = "..." and it works.
    >
    > Why is Excel not able to identify Query1!A4:A26?
    >

    > --
    > Dark_Templar
    > Dark_Templar's Profile:

    > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532349

    col A in build list contains text ane vlookup search for number
    the eassiest way to convert text to numbers is to select col A choose
    data-text to column-finish
    mcg

  3. #3
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP being messed up by formating? Help..

    Hi,

    I don't know the why, but I had the same problem with numbers stored as
    text. My solution was force all the numbers as numbers (multiply by 1 in a
    separate column and copy/paste values) in both the list and the lookup range.

    Hope this helps,
    Miguel.

  4. #4
    Thank you guys - it's working.

    I went to Date,Text to Colums and selected text.