Conditional Format Formula "includes"

  1. #1
    Cheri
    Guest

    Conditional Format Formula "includes"

    I want to create a conditional format that shades the cell if the cell
    "includes" the word 'Closed'. Some cells merely contain 'Closed' but others
    contain 'Closed due to...'

    I want all the cells that contain the word 'Closed' in them. I am not sure
    how to do this as the "Cell Contains" doesn't include that option and I can't
    think of a formula that would do that, off the top of my head.

    Can you help? Thanks!!!!

  2. #2
    Forum Expert mrice's Avatar
    Surrey, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013
    Posts
    4,967

    Response

    If you scroll right to the bottom of the list, you get an option for Contains.

    Martin

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/martin.rice1/

  3. #3

    Re: Conditional Format Formula "includes"

    =countif(a1,"*closed*")>0
    or
    =isnumber(search("closed",a1))

  4. #4

    Re: Conditional Format Formula "includes"

    You sure you're not thinking of Data|filter|autofilter, then custom filter.

  5. #5
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    In conditional formatting this will suffice...

    =SEARCH("closed",A1)