Word and Excel crash when I try to open a folder to get to a file

  1. #1
    DGD41
    Guest

    Word and Excel crash when I try to open a folder to get to a file

    Both Word and Excel crash when I try to open a file from within the program.
    As soon as I click on a folder, the programs hang. I remember setting a
    condition for "hiding" my files when I created two additional user accounts.
    I have been unable to find that option to turn it off (assuming it has
    something to do with the problem). I reinstalled Office XP, but the problem
    persists. I have no trouble opening a file if I go to the file first and
    open it by double clicking it. Nor do I have any trouble opening a file in
    the list of recent files. The only change in configuration that I can recall
    is the aforementioned hidden files setting.
    Intel Pentium 3.4, ASUS P5GD2-X, 2GB Mem, Windows XP Pro, Office Pro

  2. #2
    Neto
    Guest

    RE: Word and Excel crash when I try to open a folder to get to a file

    DG - I have the same problem and started only today, which incidently is your
    post day. I keep sending the error messg to Microsoft but there is no
    feedback. I hope someone can helps us.

  3. #3
    Neto
    Guest

    RE: Word and Excel crash when I try to open a folder to get to a file

    Check the following, from a different FAQ. It solves the problem.

    Thank you very much. I've actually contacted Microsoft and finally resolved
    the problem. The whole problem started with Windows Update. We tried
    several things but it actually was quite simple. I only need to change a
    file extension from "exe" to "old" and the file name was "verclsid".

    Thanks again,

  4. #4
    RxP
    Guest

    RE: Word and Excel crash when I try to open a folder to get to a f

    I was also having the exact same problem--for all the Office products (Word,
    Excel, PowerPoint, and Access). My search for the verclsid file listed
    many--from previous auto-updates I suppose. Rename all or just one in
    particular?

  5. #5
    RxP
    Guest

    RE: Word and Excel crash when I try to open a folder to get to a f

    Uninstalled KB908531 and everything is working properly.

  6. #6
    DGD41
    Guest

    RE: Word and Excel crash when I try to open a folder to get to a f

    Same here, and the same result. The virus I feared turned out to be an
    "enhancement." Thanks for the help.

  7. #7

    Re: Word and Excel crash when I try to open a folder to get to a f

  8. #8
    BAS
    Guest

    Re: Word and Excel crash when I try to open a folder to get to a f

    I renamed the verclsid files to solve the problem. Two key things - if you do
    a search on "verclsid", you will find several .exe files, and a "pre-fetch"
    file. Do not rename the pre-fetch file. You can rename all of the other .exe
    files to .old.