Trying to split a cell in Excel 2003, just like in Word Tables

  1. #1
    Kjandar
    Guest

    Trying to split a cell in Excel 2003, just like in Word Tables

    Click in a cell, or select multiple cells that you want to split.
    On the Table menu, click Split Cells .
    Select the number of columns or rows you want to split the selected cells
    into. This is the information I get in MS Word 2003, but cannot find the
    function in MS Excel 2003, can someone help?

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Trying to split a cell in Excel 2003, just like in Word Tables

    Not possible and neither is a good way to design in Excel, what you
    basically do is that you split one cell so it would look like

    cell1|cell2
    c e l l 3

    if you would translate that to excel it means that cell3 becomes merged and
    it causes a lot of problems. You can check that by making a table in word
    like than and then paste it into excel

    pasted into A1 will make row 2 merged and there is no practical use of
    having that in a spreadsheet except for looks. You can't calculate normally
    using formulas that take ranges. You can't paste in a range of values
    without getting messages like "cannot change part of a merged cell"

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com
    if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Mike Rogers
    Guest

    RE: Trying to split a cell in Excel 2003, just like in Word Tables

    Kjandar,

    The "cells" you are splitting in Word are from a table, which is an object
    placed on the word document. The cells in excel are part of the spread
    sheet, and can not be "split". Maybe better layout planning would help.There
    are 256 columns and over 65000 rows, so with so many cells available why
    would you need to split any of them?
    Mike Rogers