If "x" Hide / Unhide Rows

  1. #1
    Ed
    Guest

    If "x" Hide / Unhide Rows

    Hello, I have a table which has main activities and subactivities. Main
    activities are the total of the subactivities and are diferentiated with a
    "x" in a specific column... how can I manage, I guess i will need a Macro or
    something, to automatically Hide all the Rows not containing that "x" so in
    that way I can easily have the summary of all instead of manually hiding and
    unhiding rows?

  2. #2
    Netherlands
    MS-Off Ver
    Maybe you could use the Data|Filter or the Data|Group function to hide certain lines. That would be much easier than writing a macro.

    regards,
    Arien

  3. #3

    Re: If "x" Hide / Unhide Rows

    You could apply Data|Filter|Autofilter to that column.

    Then use the dropdown arrow, choose X from the adjecent dropdown
    To see what you want.

    Then data|Filter|Show all
    to see everything.

  4. #4
    E.Q.
    Guest

    RE: If "x" Hide / Unhide Rows

    Hi Ed,
    I can think of a couple ways to proceed here. You can use the "Group and
    Outline" feature under "Data" in the main menu. If the "x" column is
    conveniently below the rows summed, select the rows above the "x" and group
    them together.
    Another option is to use the data filter feature. Again you'll need to make
    sure your table structure has no blank rows. And it helps if your table has
    a single row header on top. But using this feature you can filter so that
    only those rows with an "x" in the designated column show up. This feature
    also has the added benefit of being able to use the =subtotal() function to
    summarize your "main activities."
    You could write a macro, but I think this might be a case where you can
    design your table such that a macro isn't necessary. (Though I tend to think
    they're fun to write.)
    Hope this helps.
    E.Q.C.

  5. #5
    Ed
    Guest

    Re: If "x" Hide / Unhide Rows

    Yeah the answer was quite simple and I was thinking about more complicated
    stuff, I hadn't used the Filter before, it is quite handy!

    Thanks all,

    Ed