stop dates format automatically excel 2002

  1. #1
    Harmitage
    Guest

    stop dates format automatically excel 2002

    How do I stop excel automatically changing entiries with a / to a date? I am
    downloading data such as 7/1 so formatting the cells as text beforehand
    doesn't work.

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: stop dates format automatically excel 2002

    Do you read CSV files? If so, change the name of the file to a .TXT file. Then you will have the opportunity to format each field
    the way you like.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  3. #3
    Harmitage
    Guest

    Re: stop dates format automatically excel 2002

    Thanks Niek

    The problem is the data is changed as soon as it is loaded into excel so
    data is converted into dates before I have the opportunity to save it in
    another format. I can download the data into a txt file using any basic
    program such as notepad, but again as soon as I open the data in excel it is
    changed into date format.

    Cheers

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: stop dates format automatically excel 2002

    <as soon as I open the data in excel it is changed into date format.>

    I don't understand that. If I open a txt file in Excel, I first have to choose between fixed width and separated. Then, don't
    click Finish, but next, you see the fields excel proposes, click Next again and you can click each column and choose a data type.
    Can't you?

  5. #5
    Harmitage
    Guest

    Re: stop dates format automatically excel 2002

    Thanks Niek, I follow you now. My problem was the data was downloading as csv
    and automatically changing, but I found a way of downloading it as ascii
    delimited and then I can open it the way you suggested.

    Much obliged

    Harry