Printing Excel Spreadsheet to Color Printer

  1. #1
    Karen
    Guest

    Printing Excel Spreadsheet to Color Printer

    I am trying to print a company office directory to our Canon Fiery X3e 50C-K
    printer and the file is only 93KB. I send one page of the 3 pages to be
    printed and the file sits out in the queue for quite some time spooling.
    Would it be better to send each page separately to the printer? I dont
    understand why it spools since its a one page spreadsheet, 8.5 x 11.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Hi,

    I think you'll find that 'spooling' is the conversion from user type (ie, Word.doc, Excel.xls, Notepad.txt etc) to a printer-understood format, ie position down, position across, bolded,italic capital 'W' then 'ord'.

    That the Fiery lists your job as 'spooling' for so long is disappointing, but my experience with Fiery leads me to believe it was not designed to exert stress on a network.

    I doubt that printing each page separately will improve overall speed, although it will reduce the time waiting for the first page to commence printing.

    Is the spreadsheet coloured?
    Is the correct printer driver installed?
    Does the print eventually start without manual intervention?
    Is there a 'timing' parameter set before the printing begins?
    Does items printed from other products (Word, Visio, TifReader etc) take the same time to print?

    Any further clues?

    --

    Quote Originally Posted by Karen

  3. #3
    Karen
    Guest

    Re: Printing Excel Spreadsheet to Color Printer

    Bryan -

    Thanks for your help on this. I talked to one of our 2 MIS guys at work
    (well the one that you can get a definite answer from) and he told me that
    we've been having problems with our printer driver. Since it is an IKON (not
    a Canon), we will have to get our service guy out to the office to look at
    it. I gave the info to our admin to have someone look at it.

    This whole experience of wanting the printer to print 50 pages in color
    didnt seem like much to ask. But then, that all falls back on one of my own
    sayings, "Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest things to do."