Can't get evenly spaced chart x-axis labels

  1. #1
    tcarp
    Guest

    Can't get evenly spaced chart x-axis labels

    I have a simple line chart. The x-axis runs from 1-50 and the y-axis runs
    from 0-100.

    I want to put labels every 5 ticks on the x-axis but I'm baffled on how to
    do it. I'd think that setting the axis to 4 ticks between labels would do
    it, but I get 4, 9, 14, 19, .... instead of the 5, 10, 15, 20 that I want.

    If I try to get the y-axis to cross at 0 so I start the x-axis tick count at
    0 I'm told that the number must be between 1 and a large number.

    How do you label the x-axis with labels at 5, 10, 15, etc.?

    Thanks

    Tom

  2. #2
    Dan
    Guest

    RE: Can't get evenly spaced chart x-axis labels

    I don't know where you are trying to set the axis values, but if you right
    click on the X-Axis on the chart and select format axis, you can set up any
    values you want in the scale tab.

  3. #3
    tcarp
    Guest

    RE: Can't get evenly spaced chart x-axis labels

    Hi Dan

    Let me a little more specific. If I double click on the x-axis I get a
    Format Axis window. On the Scale tab is where the ticks and labels are set.

    If I set the # of ticks between labels to 4 I get 1, 5, 9, 13....

    Hope that helps clarify.

    Thanks

    Tom

  4. #4
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: Can't get evenly spaced chart x-axis labels

    Hi Tom,

    If the data you are charting consists of a column (or row) of X values
    and a column (or row) of Y values then you should be using the X-Y
    scatter chart.

    When Dan said "you can set up any values you want in the scale tab" I'm
    guessing he was thinking in terms of your chart being an X-Y Scatter
    chart.

    Ken Johnson