Strange Occurrence Copying Formula

  1. #1

    Strange Occurrence Copying Formula

    Hello:

    I had very unusual experience with Excel this morning. I had set up a workbook last week to do some calculations, and I opened it up this morning to continue my work. I wanted to copy a formula from one cell to others in the same column. I used the same procedure I had used a million times before - selected the object cell, hit crtl-C to copy, then selected the target cell(s), and finally, hit ctrl-V to copy the formulas. Well it seemed to copy them correctly, the cell references all changed appropriately for the copied cells, but the results were not correct. The result for all the cells was the result for the original cell, just copied over and over again, even though the formulas appeared to address different cells with different values. A little additional info: 1) When setting up the workbook, I had tried to insert multiple worksheets at once instead of just inserting one at a time, as I had always done previously, and 2) When opening the workbook this morning, in the header above the toolbar, where the workbook name appears, there was a notation "[Group]" after the name, which I had never seen before. I shut down Excel and re-opened the workbook, thinking that I had inadvertently hit a strange key combination on opening, but that didn't work. I shut down and rebooted my PC, but that didn't work. Finally, after I opened up a blank sheet as a "New" workbook, entered some data and did the ctrl-C, crtl-V sequence, it seemed to reset everything to work as expected. Weird. Any ideas? Thanks alot.

  2. #2
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: Strange Occurrence Copying Formula

    The cause may be that the workbook was set to manual calculation somehow.
    Check it on Tools -> Options -> Calculation.
    You can also check it by pressing F9 after you did the copy/paste, if that
    was the cause the data should change after that.

  3. #3
    gem
    Guest

    RE: Strange Occurrence Copying Formula

    The "[Group]" notation was because you had multiple sheets (tabs) selected.
    Right click one of the tabs and select Ungroup Sheets.

    -gem

  4. #4

    Thanks!

    Thanks, guys. Both replies were right on the money. I changed to manual calculations and the phenomenon repeated itself. I changed back and everything calculated correctly.

    A also checked out the group/ungroup thing, and that was as you said it would be.

    I don't know how the manual calculation switch got turned on, or how I turned it off earlier, but...all's well that ends well.

    Thanks again.

    Quote Originally Posted by gem