Pivot Tables - How can I "reset" the selections in "Row Field"?

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Pivot Tables - How can I "reset" the selections in "Row Field"?

    I have a workbook which has several pivot charts and tables that pull information from a single worksheet within the workbook. The "Row Field" has dates and employee names. I have updated this through the month of april, and decided to save a copy to use a template for each new month. In the template I deleted all information in the source sheet (except the column titles), refreshed the pivot tables and saved it as a copy named "template".

    I then went and pasted information for a previous month (March), refreshed everything and it appears to work just fine.

    Problem is encountered when I click on the "Field" button to filter data. When the list is brought up of possible days or employees, the entries for April are still listed. For example, I have an entry for April 1, April 2.... and then the March 1, March 2.... entries appear. Not sure why these show up, there are no April dates in the source data. The field list seemed to have remembered all the original entries and cannot drop them. This isn't that big of a problem, but it is strange and I was wondering how I can prevent this.

    I tried removing the "date" from the row field and then adding it back in, but it still remembers the April dates...

    Help?

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Tables - How can I "reset" the selections in "Row Field"?

    To clear old items from the pivot table, you can use one of the
    techniques shown here:

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Debra, I have tried to manually clear the old items, but it doesn't work. They still appear in my lists and I have checked the source data to confirm they are removed completely.

    I had to resort to using the macro you have on your site, which did the trick for me (thankfully). Thanks, but why didnt the manual method work?

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Tables - How can I "reset" the selections in "Row Field"?

    If you manually grouped the items, ungroup them.
    If there are multiple pivot tables that use the same pivot cache, remove
    the field from all the pivot tables.
    Then refresh the pivot table, and add the field.