merge two cells

  1. #1
    Pam Coleman
    Guest

    merge two cells

    I have information in (example: f4, f5, f6, f7. I want to merge it into F4,
    but still be listed in a column: example
    Bob Smith
    Joe White
    Betty Snow
    Jill Jones
    I want it to look like this but be in F4, I tried to merge the cells, but
    it deletes the information except the first name. Is there an easy way to do
    this? f4& f5&.... puts it in a line across in f4, but I want it as a list.

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    mmatz
    Guest

    RE: merge two cells

    I am not exactly sure about your question.
    But try in F4 to type Bob Smith Joe White Betty Snow with just a space
    between the names. Then go to Format on the menu bar and choose Cells. Then
    click on the alignment tab at the top and in the bottom left corner choose
    wrap text. You might have to stretch out the column width to make them fit in
    the cell.

  3. #3
    Pam Coleman
    Guest

    RE: merge two cells

    I want the information from f4, f5, f6, f7 to be in cell f4 not side by side,
    but in a list.
    I want in f4: Betty White
    Joe Smith
    Bob Jones
    Billy Brown
    one name under the other as in a list, but all in cell f4. I have a
    column with 500 rows and I was wanting a formula that I could type to combine
    serveral cells into one but with the names in a list. I thought there might
    be a formula that would do this for me.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: merge two cells

    Pam

    In F4 enter ="Betty White" and char(10) & F5 & char(10) & F6 & char(10) & F7

    Set the cell format to "wrap text" and autofit.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    pfuller
    Guest

    Re: merge two cells

    This answer is slicker than mine, but with 500 entries you might just think
    about copying the information from Excel to Notepad as a single unit, then
    copy it back into a single cell. Quick and dirty...

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,791

    Lightbulb

    fuller's tip should be usefull for you if you want to copy all data of your cells in one cell.
    select all rows copy then paste in notepad. copy from notepad and select single cell in which you want to copy your whole data. before pasting double click the cell to get the editable form then past the data in that cell.

    this may solve your problem. I just reproduced fuller's tip only to add important sentence in bold.

  7. #7
    Have you tried formatting the cell as suggested, typing the first name, using <CTRL> <ENTER> to force a carriage return in the cell before the next name?