Addisional colors in Excell

  1. #1
    jdc
    Guest

    Addisional colors in Excell

    I was wondering if there is any way to display the (more colors) color wheel
    from Excel. Currenly I only get the block of 40 colors. Please advise.

    jdc

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Addisional colors in Excell

    You can't, not in current Excel.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Hank Scorpio
    Guest

    Re: Addisional colors in Excell

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 17:36:18 +0100, "Bob Phillips"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You can't, not in current Excel.

    Actually, you CAN, but you can only change one of the existing 56
    colours in the workbook (including the 16 chart colours below the main
    40 in the Format Cells dialog), not introduce more than 56 colours.

    You can't do it through the Format -> Cells dialog, but you can go to
    Tools-> Options -> Color, select the colour that you want to change,
    and select [Modify]. This doesn't brng up the wheel, but rather a tab
    dialog which allows you to set the colour in question to any RGB
    value.

    This will affect the current workbook only.

    >(remove nothere from email address if mailing direct)
    >
    >"jdc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I was wondering if there is any way to display the (more colors) color

    >wheel
    >> from Excel. Currenly I only get the block of 40 colors. Please advise.
    >>
    >> jdc

    Hank Scorpio
    scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
    * Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Addisional colors in Excell

    "Hank Scorpio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 17:36:18 +0100, "Bob Phillips"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >You can't, not in current Excel.

    > Actually, you CAN, but you can only change one of the existing 56
    > colours in the workbook (including the 16 chart colours below the main
    > 40 in the Format Cells dialog), not introduce more than 56 colours.

    Therefore you can't.

  5. #5
    Hank Scorpio
    Guest

    Re: Addisional colors in Excell

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:44:46 +0100, "Bob Phillips"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Hank Scorpio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 17:36:18 +0100, "Bob Phillips"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >You can't, not in current Excel.

    >> Actually, you CAN, but you can only change one of the existing 56
    >> colours in the workbook (including the 16 chart colours below the main
    >> 40 in the Format Cells dialog), not introduce more than 56 colours.

    >Therefore you can't.

    Bob, the OP asked "I was wondering if there is any way to display the
    (more colors) color wheel", not "I was wondering whether there was any
    way to increase the number of colours".

    Granted their statement "Currenly I only get the block of 40 colors"
    might have thrown some ambiguity in, but as to whether or not you can
    display if not the colour wheel but a dialog with corresponding
    functionality, yes, you can.

  6. #6
    Hank Scorpio
    Guest

    Re: Addisional colors in Excell

    On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 08:00:46 +1000, Hank Scorpio
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bob, the OP asked "I was wondering if there is any way to display the
    >(more colors) color wheel", not "I was wondering whether there was any
    >way to increase the number of colours".

    I should have also mentioned that the button which launches the same
    dialog as the one launched through Tools -> Options -> Colors ->
    Modify in Excel is labelled "More Colors" in Word. I therefore thought
    it not unresonable to guess that that was what s/he was actually
    after.