DAVERAGE criteria HELP!!!!

  1. #1
    farmedgirl
    Guest

    DAVERAGE criteria HELP!!!!

    Hi
    I am using Excel XP version 2002. I have a database with 1000 different
    farmer ID numbers, each with multiple rows of use rates for a chemical. I
    would like to find the average use rate for each of these growers. I can
    enter a formula: = DAVERAGE(database range, use rate column, criteria) But
    the criteria part is the misery!I need to create 1000 criteria columns (colum
    heading with each ID number) for each grower's ID #! I have tried one column
    heading and all of the ID numbers below, but the average is then cummulative.
    I would love to be able to create the formula, then copy and paste it down a
    results row, supplying me with the average use rate for each grower, but the
    criteria requires two cells (column name and criteria), and my pasted results
    only a one cell difference. Is there any way to accomplish my goal of not
    having to type out 1000 individual formulas? I hope this isnt too confusing -
    it is hard to describe my problem without being able to show the excel sheet

    Thanks in advance for any help or hints
    -Kimberly

  2. #2
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: DAVERAGE criteria HELP!!!!

    Kimberly,
    It sound like the subtotals feature should work?
    It will total, count, average or other at each change in text.
    So if each row has an ID, it may do what you want.
    Got to... Data | Subtotals
    --
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

    "farmedgirl"
    <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: DAVERAGE criteria HELP!!!!

    You may want to consider using data|Pivottable, too.

    Make sure your table of data has one header row.
    Select the table (include the header row)
    Data|Pivottable
    follow the wizard until you get to the step with a Layout button.
    Click that button
    Drag the Id header button to the row field
    drag the rate header button to the column field
    (double click on that button and change it to Average)

    And finish up.

    If you want to read more about pivottables...

    Here are a few links:

    Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
    And Debra's own site:

    John Walkenbach also has some at:
    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
    (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

    Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

    MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
    http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
    http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx