Excel 101 (maybe 102) question

  1. #1
    Treasur2
    Guest

    Excel 101 (maybe 102) question

    How do (or what function) do I link worksheets or specific cells in different
    worksheets.

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Excel 101 (maybe 102) question

    You can have XL create the link for you automatically.
    Then you can copy/revise that syntax to suit your needs.

    Click in the target cell of a sheet and hit the equal sign,
    Click on the tab of the origin sheet,
    Click in the cell containing the data,
    Hit <Enter>.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Excel 101 (maybe 102) question

    Select a "sending" cell.
    Edit|copy

    select the "receiving" cell
    edit|paste special|paste link

    You'll end up with a formula that looks like:
    =sheet2!a1

    You could type that directly or even let excel help.

    Select the "receiving" cell
    type = (just the equal sign)
    use the mouse to select the cell on the other sheet and then hit enter.

    =======
    If the sending cell is empty, this formula will return a 0.

    You may want to ammend the formula to look more like:

    =if(sheet2!a1="","",sheet2!a1)

  4. #4

    Re: Excel 101 (maybe 102) question

    And if it's in a different workbook add [WORKBOOK1.xls] in front of the
    sheet2!a1. Excel will automatically add any directory referrences when
    the WORKBOOK1 is closed and leave the directores off when the WORKBOOK1
    is open. ed

  5. #5

    Re: Excel 101 (maybe 102) question

    If it's in a different workbook, I'd make sure I let excel do the heavy
    lifting--either by pasting link or typing the = and pointing at the other cell.

    Let excel worry about the brackets, apostrophes, exclamation points...

  6. #6
    Treasur2
    Guest

    Re: Excel 101 (maybe 102) question