Heights

  1. #1
    Dig
    Guest

    Heights

    What do the row heights or column widths numbers mean? Is it pixels, mm,
    inches?

    How do I cange them if I need to set the columns to inches?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Heights

    From the Excel Help file:

    Measurement units and rulers in Excel
    Unlike Microsoft Word, Excel does not provide a horizontal or vertical
    ruler, and there is no quick way to measure the width or height of a
    worksheet in inches. Excel uses characters, points, and pixels as units of
    measurement.

    The width of cells is displayed in characters and pixels rather than in
    inches. When you drag the boundary of a column heading to adjust the width of
    a column on the worksheet, a ScreenTip displays the width in characters and
    shows pixels in parentheses.

    The height of cells is displayed in points and pixels rather than in inches.
    When you drag the boundary of a row heading to adjust the height of a row on
    the worksheet, a ScreenTip displays the height in points and shows pixels in
    parentheses.

    An approximate conversion of points and pixels to inches is shown in the
    following table.

    Points Pixels Inches
    18 24 .25
    36 48 .5
    72 96 1
    108 144 1.5
    144 192 2

    HTH,
    Elkar

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Heights

    Dig

    Row heights are measured in points or pixels. There are 72 points to an inch
    and "maybe" 96 pixels to the inch.

    The number that appears in the Standard column width box is the average number
    of digits 0-9 of the standard font that fit in a cell.

    For an interesting and enlightening discussion on this subject see

    http://snipurl.com/dzz8

    If you want to use VBA to set height and width in mm.

    Ole Erlandson has code for setting row and column dimensions.

    http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...vbawssetrowcol

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

    On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:29:02 -0700, Dig <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What do the row heights or column widths numbers mean? Is it pixels, mm,
    >inches?
    >
    >How do I cange them if I need to set the columns to inches?
    >
    >Thanks

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP