Converting a date field into a month-year only field

  1. #1
    C.Hirsch
    Guest

    Converting a date field into a month-year only field

    I have a column of dates that are populated with xx/xx/yyyy and I would like
    have another column that takes the date of the particular month & year and
    combine it to be recognized only as a month-year data cell. I am trying to
    do this so my pivot table will combine all of the dates within a certain
    month into a common total cell.

  2. #2

    Re: Converting a date field into a month-year only field

    Maybe you could use another column with formulas like:
    =text(a2,"yyyymm")

    If you really wanted to just worry about the month and ignore the year:
    =text(a2,"mm")
    or just
    =month(a2)

    ===
    But before you do this, you may want to rightclick on that field in the
    pivottable and choose Group and show detail. Group by Month (or month and
    year).

    Each of the entries in that field in the raw data has to be a date--no text, no
    empty cells.